Wednesday, December 10, 2008

INTRO


I've been a fan of the pulps every since I discovered The Avenger reprints back in the 1970's. For awhile, every trip to the mall was another chance to grab the next adventure of Dick Benson and his multicultural crew. Afterwards, I moved onto Doc Savage and even tried The Spider. Some would agrue where the golden age of pulp novels lay, but in my heart it was the 1970's when I began discovering the reprints. Forty years may be a long time, but not if you're a high school kid bored and looking for adventure.
Recently, I've discovered Operator #5.
I first encountered Jimmy (Operator #5) Christopher in Don Hutchison's The Great Pulp Heroes book. Mentally, I made a note to check him out when I had the opportunity. There have been some reprints as of late, so now it's possible to do so without having to shell out $$$ for a rare, original edition. And, of course, there are ebook editions availible which makes it even more conveinent.
What has atttacted me to O-5 is the unbelievable over-the-top story lines in the novels, which were first published in the 1930's. It wasn't just one invasion of the USA the hero had to thwart, he had them just about every issue. With his sword belt and identifiying ring, secret agent Jimmy Christopher battled the forces of hell to save the New Deal.
One story arc, "The Purple Wars", lasted thirteen issues. I haven't had the chance to read them yet, but I plan to do so. And I'll publish my running commentery here.
Z-7, named for Operator-5's older chief, is something I've wanted to do for a long time: a Reading Blog. Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment